Sunday, July 16, 2006

Where has the time gone?

We've now been in Ghana for exactly four weeks and one day. Crazy eh? It's flewn by. It seems like just yesterday we landed in Ghana and were trying to find our way through the throngs at the airport to find our group of CCS volunteers. Today the next group of new volunteers arrived. We all had to try and keep the staring to a minimum. Not everyone was home when they got here as several had left early this morning on a hike up Mount Adaklu.

I stayed home and rested because of my cough and cold. This was the first weekend we've had at home and it felt good to just rest and hang out. I don't know where yesterday went. We ran some errands, got some clothes made, and then spent the rest of the day around the house. We played a pretty fine game of Charades. I think we might have scared one of the new volunteers that arrived last night. First, we played a round of Charades written by Kristen. Then we tried one where we each put in something. Everyone kept yelling out what the answer was for the ones that they had written down. Apparently it's really hard to resist screaming out your answer.

This past Wednesday, I decided to go to another school, Royal Nursery and Preschool. I've really enjoyed there and I think I'll be going there from now on. The children are a little older than at Victoria and the staff is equally friendly. There are these two kids that I'm absolutely in love with. I think their names are spelled Sedem and Adziji. Both of them are a bit shy but I'm making progress. On Friday, we walked around the playground together. They are both two years old so I'm not teaching them but I still get to see them during recess.

In my own class, I help out Sister Rose (who happens to be only 18!) with whatever she needs help in. Sometimes, the class of 30+ four and five year olds are split in to two groups and I try and work with the more advanced ones. I've found I really like teaching math...even though I thought I hated math. Tomorrow, Ashley and I are going to teacher about Nature. I think we're going to do sea creatures. The kids love it when I try and draw because I'm so horrible at it. I can't wait to see them tomorrow!

I know we haven't put pictures up in a while but I promise I'll try next time. Right now, I believe it is nap time :)

2 Comments:

At 3:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

SI!
I forgot to tell you that Jaclyn is taking Bio 11 at Saints this summer and she has... wait for it... Franco as a teacher!! hahaha I told her about our mushroom, Zoomastigina, and the earthworm that I diced up which made me nauseous. Oh the memories..

Be sure to teach the kids about Cuscus and the Portuguese Man-of-war.

 
At 1:14 p.m., Blogger Silan said...

deniece, you told me she was taking bio 11 at saints but not that Franco was her teacher! that's too funny

sam, we got your magnificent message in a bottle, thank you so much! it must have been the highlight of our week! there were many jealous faces

 

Post a Comment

<< Home